Xanax is a Benzodiazepine drug, affects the chemical in the brain that is naturally occurring. Xanax is popular in the United States by its generic name – Alprazolam. This drug helps in managing the unbalanced that has been caused in the human brain.
Xanax helps to treat disorders such as – anxiety, panic attacks, and depression that are mainly a cause of anxiety. People may also use Xanax for other uses that are not mentioned here.
How does Xanax work?
Xanax is a fast-release tablet that starts affecting the symptoms that need to be cured. It provides quick relief to the patient who is suffering from anxiety and Panic Disorder. It works by binding the GABA recipients that are present inside your brain.
This working will slow down the neuron activity in the brain, which in turn will have the effect of reducing or suppressing anxiety, fear, or feeling of terror. The outcome of this will be that the patient might feel sleepy, calm, and relaxed.
This drug starts showing its effect on the body within 20-25 minutes at an average rate. And will be withdrawn from affecting in about six hours. If a patient chooses long-term Xanax use, he/she must know that taking this drug for an extended time can incur effects that can be injurious to your health.
How long does it take for Xanax to work?
Xanax tablets take approximately an hour to start showing their effect on the person’s mind. However, as said above, Xanax tablets on an average count will not take more than 25-30 minutes to start showing their effect on the patient’s mind. It also depends on the metabolic rate of the patient who is taking the drug.
The dosage of the drug also matters in considering the time the drug may take to reflect in your system. If the patient takes an extended-release tablet, then the drug will take more time to show its effect, and if the drug is in an immediate release, then it will hardly take 10-15 minutes for the drug to release its formulae into the bloodstream.
Dosage for Xanax –
Xanax Dosage should be individualized as per the person’s need to maximize the benefits people will be getting from it. The daily dosage for most of the patients is the same, but there are some patients whose needs require more dosage for the daily count. There are also patients whose dose will be greater than 4mg/day.
In such cases, the regular increase of the dose should only be maintained under the guidance of a doctor or physician in order to avoid the adverse effects of the medicine. There are other forms of Xanax as well that a doctor recommends as per the patient’s requirement.
Xanax extended-release tablets are available in the market for the use of patients. These tablets should only be taken as a part of Xanax medication after the prescription dose that will be provided by the doctor.
What are the Xanax side effects?
The common side effects of Xanax are below –
- Sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
- Lack of appetite
- Having difficulty in coordination
- Change in the pattern of speech
- Forgetting things (temporary memory retardation)
- Having trouble in concentration
- Feeling sad (mood swings)
These were the side effects that can be seen around in people taking a dose of Xanax for anxiety treatment. One cannot forget that Xanax should only take as per the doctor’s guidelines.
What precautions should I take while using Xanax?
Taking precautions to get yourself covered from the aftereffects that this drug can cause is way better than taking a cure for the developed side effects. Xanax is a benzodiazepine, which means that the drug can cause certain side effects.
To ensure that you are safe and the effect of Xanax will be in control, you need to follow the given precautions –
- Inform your doctor if you have been taking any other drug other than Xanax. There can be adverse effects if Xanax interacts with any other drug which you have been taking since earlier.
- Do inform your doctor if you have been taking any supplements or other herbal products as well. Even drugs like vitamins can cause side effects when came in contact with Xanax.
- You are advised not to take Xanax if you are suffering from any serious health issues such as – heart, lungs, or kidney disease.
- Xanax is not recommended for use during pregnancy. Do tell your doctor if you are pregnant so that he could provide you with the right solution.
- Ladies who are breastfeeding are also advised not to use this drug in order not to transfer the content of the drug to the child.
- Do not take alcohol in any form. You are strictly advised to stop the consumption of alcohol or any other sedative that you might be taking. It will make you feel more dizzy or drowsy at times.
- Do not drive a vehicle or use any heavy machinery while you are under the effect of Xanax.
- You should always take Xanax dosage as per the guidelines are given in the prescription provided by the doctor.
How should I be taking Xanax for anxiety?
Xanax is used to treat anxiety and other related symptoms. It should be taken exactly as prescribed to the patient by a medical professional. You should follow the instructions given on the prescription label of the drug. You are also advised not to take Xanax or Alprazolam in larger quantities or for a longer time period.
The patient should inform the doctor if it seems that the drug is no more effective. Xanax can be habit-forming in patients who have been taking it since a while ago. Hence, you are advised not to use Xanax on your own. Always take the consultation from a doctor and then start with the use of the drug.
What is Xanax abuse? How can it be controlled?
The drug, Xanax, is often found to be abused due to its fast effect on the patient’s mind. There are people who also use Xanax to get “high.” According to the reports, there have been almost triple the count of Benzodiazepine abuse from 1998 to 2008.
If you are taking this drug for long term and getting addicted to it, there are chances that you may get an adverse effect of the drug that can be fatal. In order to stay away from these harmful effects of Xanax, use the drug wisely, and follow the instructions given in the prescription.